We immediately got rid of peanut butter and we scrutinize every food product that comes into our house. We made our own Almond butter once, but it wasn't our favorite. When a friend found a peanut butter substitute for us, we tried it and were hooked. Since then we found another.
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts and opinions on both!
- Sunbutter is a peanut-free, tree-nut free, and gluten-free butter made from sunflower seeds.
- We love the flavor. It has a very salty, roasted peanut butter flavor. When trying it alone, you can tell it's made from sunflower seeds, but on a sandwich or used another way, it tastes just like peanut butter. Hubby & Gray prefer Sunbutter flavor.
- You can use as a peanut butter substitute in any recipe, although I'll admit that we haven't tried using it to bake yet.
- It's also a healthy alternative. Chock full of protein, but has 1/3 less saturated fat than peanut butter. It also is rich in vitamin E and has more iron and fiber than peanut butter.
- I would definitely recommend the Natural No-Stir version pictured above. They have other varieties, like Creamy, but it separates horribly and you get super oily sunbutter on top and super thick dry sunbutter at the bottom of the jar. The No-Stir version is perfect.
- It's pretty difficult to find around here, but there is a store locator on their website and it's available on Amazon - SunButter Natural No-Stir Creamy, 16-Ounce (Pack of 3).
- It's pretty expensive, but so is peanut butter. You can generally find it for $5-6 for a 16 oz jar.
- Sunflower seeds are also a common allergen, so it doesn't help someone with a sunflower seed allergy too.
- WOWbutter is a peanut-free, tree-nut free, dairy-free and gluten-free butter made from soy.
- We love the flavor. It has a more sweet, peanut butter flavor. When trying it alone, you can tell it's not exactly peanut butter, but on a sandwich or used another way, it tastes great. Layne prefers WOWbutter.
- You can use as a peanut butter substitute in any recipe and we've tried successfully in a peanut butter cookie recipe.
- It's also a healthy alternative. WOWbutter is considered a complete protein food since it has all 9 of the essential amino acids (peanut butter has 6). It also is rich in vitamin E, calcium, iron, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- It's also pretty difficult to find around here, but there is a store locator on their website and it's available on Amazon - Safe 4 School WOWBUTTER Tastes Just Like Peanut Butter-Creamy 17.6 OZ (Pack of 6) .
- It's pretty expensive, but so is peanut butter. It's a little cheaper than Sunbutter. You can generally find it for $4-5 for a 17 oz jar.
- And again, soy is also a common allergen, so it doesn't help someone with a soy allergy too.
Note: I was not compensated by either company to write this post! I just want to share safe peanut butter substitutes. This post does contain affiliate links.